Past Towns

Allendale - A post office was established June 6, 1862 and discontinued October 7, 1863.
- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas by Laura Steed.

Alta - Original name of Bonita

Aubry - Cutler's History of Kansas

Aubray (Aubry) - There is no trace of this once- fourishing village near the Missouri border now except a filling station on Highway 169 where the town stood. It was a close neighbor to Spring Hill, and was largely built on the site formerly occupied by Spring Hill's old Town. It was surveyed and a town company organized in March, 1858. Aubrey was named after a famous traveler (believed Mexican) of that name. The first school district was organized in the summer of 1858 and a frame building 20'x24' built. The first church was organized in May 1859 by a reverend of the Christian denomination. "The township was gradually settled and improved, generally, by an excellent class of people, and peace and harmony prevailed." The post office was established June 21, 1860. It was discontinued two years later, re-established on June 19, 1866 and finally abandoned on Aug. 20, 1888. With the commencement of national difficulties (Civil War), rural quiet and peace came to an abrupt end. With the outbreak of the war, most of the citizens left and joined the armies. A number of the best citizens decided to remain, hoping to escape molestation by adopting peaceful policy. The first raid on the town was made some time in 1862. Aubrey was considered about the bloodiest spot during border and war days. located close to the Missouri border, it was about the first place to be attacked by marauding bands. It was twice raided and a continuous target of pillaging bands. Quantrill also made amny raids in and around Aubrey about 1863. It is recorded that five newly arrived citizens who went out one evening to gather honey, promising their wives to return early, were murdered by Quantrill's men and the place of their burial is not known.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas by Laura Steed.

Bartleson - A post office was established June 14, 1872 and discontinued April 17, 1874.
- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas by Laura Steed.

Black Bob - This is the name of the reservation where a group of Shawnee Indians lived. It is also the name of a small town located in the southeast part of the county at the sources of the Blue and Tomahawk Creeks. The reservation itself covered areas in Oxford, Spring Hill, Aubrey and Olathe townships. Settlement of this area was the result of a treaty which let the Indians hold lands in common. There were sixty-five holding this area. A joint resolution was agreed on that allowed the sale of Black Bob to actual settlers only. Some whites were already on the land and improvements being made. The settlers were entitled to buy a maximum of 160 acres at $2.50 per acre with pre-emption rights. However, not all Shawnees received their allotted land promptly, a series of years passing. Squatters cam in and most of the allotted lands were for sale by the early 1870's. The Indians left for Indian Territory in Oklahoma and sold their land for an average of $4.80 per acre. A post office was established July 2, 1875 and discontinued February 5, 1879.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas by Laura Steed.

Bonita - A small town situated about 5 miles south of Olathe. The village was first named Alta by the railroad company on account of it being at the highest spot on their road; but there being another post office in the state by that name, the name of this town was changed to Bonita, Spanish for 'beautiful.' The name is very appropriate because of the beauty of the surrounding rolling prairie. The first settlement was made there by Frank Temple and William Jobi on October 17, 1879. The post office was established in December 1879, F. Gilbert being appointed first Postmaster. Mr. Gilbert also opened a store in the same month on the north side of Main Street. The first birth was that of John Temple, December 1, 1881, and the first death that of Miss Annie McElheny, July 17, 1880.

- from History of the State of Kansas by William G. Cutler (1883).

Bull Creek - See Lanesfield.

Cedar Junction, aka Cedar - Corliss, it's railroad name, is located on the south bank of the Kansas River and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, about ninteen miles southwest of Kansas City. A post office was established January 16, 1877 and discontinued April 30, 1919. In 1910 Cedar Junction had a population of 161 and in 1912, besides having a money order post office, it had several general stores, express and telegraph facilities and was the supply and shipping point for the rich district.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Captain's Creek Community - see History of Captain's Creek Community.

Cedar Junction, aka Cedar - Corliss, it's railroad name, is located on the south bank of the Kansas River and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, about ninteen miles southwest of Kansas City. A post office was established January 16, 1877 and discontinued April 30, 1919. In 1910 Cedar Junction had a population of 161 and in 1912, besides having a money order post office, it had several general stores, express and telegraph facilities and was the supply and shipping point for the rich district.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Chilicothe - Listed in the July 5, 1883 edition of The Johnson County Democrat as a "defunct city in the west."

Chouteau - It is located on the south bank of the Kansas River and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, about twelve miles southwest of Kansas City between Holliday and Wilder. It was named for the trading post established in the locality by the Chouteau (illegible), but never lived up to early expectations. A post office was established March 15, 1881 and discontinued March 31, 1903. In 1912, the mail for the town was received at Holliday, about 3/4 mile east.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Clare - It is located on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, five miles southwest of Olathe. The name was changed from Wainwright to Clare by a family of fifteen named Kelly, for Clare county in Ireland. A post office was established under the new name May 17, 1906 and discontinued September 30, 1913. In 1910 Clare had a population of 10 and in 1912 had the money to order post office and telegraph and express facilities. There was also an elevator, store and school. However, the elevator burned down and the store and school were both remodeled as residences.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Corliss - see Cedar Junction.

Countryside - Countryside was incorporated into Mission in 2003 and is now a Homes Association.

Craig - It is located on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, seven miles north of Olathe. A post office was established January 31, 1899 and discontinued October 15, 1902. In 1912, the mail was received by rural route from Zarah.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Four Corners - Located about three miles northwest of Gardner, Four Corners had a Methodist church on the southwest corner, a Friends church on the northwest corner, a school on the southeast corner, and a blacksmith shop on the northeast corner. There was also a store in the town. It's small cemetery, now in a field, has graves dated 1858 and 1859.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Glenn - An early course of the Santa Fe Trail entered Johnson County and the state just (illegible) Kansas River and east of the village of Glenn. A post office was established January 21, 1868 and discontinued April 30, 1895.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Glenwood - A post office was established August 8, 1872 when the name was changed from Spring Place, and discontinued May 18, 1881 when the name was changed again, this time to Merriam.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Haysville - A post office was established July 1, 1858 and discontinued March 30, 1860.
- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Hector - Cutler's History of Kansas

Hector - The town was settled in 1857, about five miles south of Kansas City. The first school was taught in a house in 1858 and a schoolhouse built in 1865. The Presbyterian Church was organized and a church built in 1868 or 1869. There was also a Methodist Church in the town. The post office was established either in 1866 or November 18, 1875. It was discontinued June 5, 1884, re-established November 8, 1895 and abandoned January 15, 1900.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Hibbard - 1874 Atlas History of Johnson County - McCamish Township

Hibbard - Located two miles northeast of Edgerton, Hibbard was organized and a post office established February 26, 1855. It was discontinued either in 1856 or July 17, 1861 when the name was changed to Lanesfield.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Holliday - Towns of Yesteryear

Holliday - It is an unincorporated coummunity at the junction of two lines of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, near the banks of the Kaw in the western part of the county. It is thirteen miles from Kansas City and had one of the finest springs in the county. It was first called Waseca, but the name was changed to Holliday in honor of Cyrus K. Holliday of Topeka, the railroad magnate who (illegible) A post office was established Novemebr 3, 1886 and at least until 1961 it had not been discontinued. In 1915, Holliday had a population of 175 and several stores.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Jerusalem - Located two miles northeast of Gardner, Jerusalem had a store, blacksmith shop, school and severl residences. A post office was established April 11, 1895 and discontinued December 31, 1900.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Kenneth - It is at the crossing of the Clinton Branch and Missouri Pacific Railroads, almost on the Missouri Line, a little over three miles east of Stanley. A post office was established April 29, 1907 when the name was changed from Mastin to Kenneth. It was discontinued April 14, 1943. In 1910, Kenneth had a population of 30 and in 1915, it had it's money order post office, telegraph and express facilities, and a general store.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Lackman - A station on the Frisco Railroad, Lackman is three miles north of Olathe. It was established in 1857 and ended it's career with a whiskey shop and two claim shanties.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Lanesfield - Cutler's History of Kansas

Lanesfield - Lanesfield was laid out on the west side of Bull Creek, two miles northeast of Edgerton, in 1858. Lanesfield was a free state town named for the fiery James H. Lane of anti-slavery fame. At one time it had seventeen dwellings, three stores, three churches and a population of nearly one hundred inhabitants. There were no saloons allowed in Lanesfield, but McCamish supported one in good style just across the creek. The post office was variously known as Bull Creek, Hibbard, Uniontown, Lanesfield and McCamish. A post office was officially established July 17, 1861. With the building of the railroad through the township in 1870, the town of Lanesfield moved to the railroad where the depot had been named Edgerton. The Presbyterian Church had previously been established on June 24, 1860 on the west bank of Bull Creek and a church building had been erected in Lanesfield in 1868. This church and the blacksmith shop moved to Edgerton in 1871. The Methodist Chruch moved in 1873. On September 16, 1870, the post office was discontinued as the name was changed to Martinsburgh.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Lanesfield - Listed in the July 5, 1883 edition of The Johnson County Democrat as a "defunct city where the Old Santa Fe Trail crosses Bull Creek."


Lexington - Cutler's History of Kansas

Lexington - Three miles south of DeSoto on the prairie, Lexington was laid out in 1857. Lexington was the more pretentious burg of the two and was marked on the territorial maps as a place of considerable importance. A post office was established June 29, 1857. A two-story hotel was built in 1860. There was also a general store which sold whiskey to the Indians. The founders and citizens were pro-slavery, while DeSoto was exclusively free-state. In addition, to the natural rivalry of the two villages so close together, they had the incentive of strong political partisans to strengthen the mutual dislike. The downfall of the pro-slavery party meant that Lexington went down, too. The site is now a farm, presently within the Sunflower Ordinance Plant. The post office was discontinued January 14, 1863. The town was vacated in 1864.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Lexington - Listed in the July 5, 1883 edition of the Johnson County Democrat as a "defunct city a few miles south of De Soto, now known as the Penner Farm."

Martinsburgh - A post office was established September 16, 1870 when the name was changed from Lanesfield to Martinsburgh. The name was again changed to Edgerton and the post office discontinued on July 14, 1871.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Martin City - See Edgerton.

Mastin - A station on the Kansas City, Clinton and Springfield Railroad, Mastin is located eleven miles east of Olathe. A post office was established July 1, 1899 and discontinued April 29, 1907 when the name was changed to Kenneth. In 1910, it had a population of 25 and in 1912, it had telegraph and express facilities.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed. 

McCamish - Cutler's History of Kansas

McCamish - Where the old Santa Fe Trail crossed Bull Creek in McCamish Township was a favorite camping place for traders and others who had business across the plains. It was a lively place during the summer months. Enterprising individuals as early as 1854 and 1855 decided it was a favorable site for a future town and laid the foundation for a city by opening a small grocery store and saloon. The town was formally laid out in 1857, about two miles northeast of Edgerton. It was a pro-slavery town and a favorite resort for scores of southern gentlemen of leisure who spent their time rambling over the Territory regulating its affairs. In it's best days of 1858, it had about fifty inhabitants. The settlement was never officially listed on early day post office rosters as McCamish, but as Hibbard which was the postal station established there on February 25, 1855. McCamish and Lanesfield were keen rivals and both were looking to the coming of the railroad to mushroom them into prosperous growth. When the Santa Fe did come through in 1870, it skipped both towns and the inhabitants of each began to scuttle over to the most strategic spot along the tracks to join forces there in founding a new town, Edgerton, named in honor of the chief engineer who had laid out the railroad.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed. 

Listed in the July 5, 1883 edition of The Johnson County Democrat as a "defunct city."

Meadow Brook - A post office ws established August 19, 1875 and discontinued July 22, 1881. It was re-established a third time February 26, 1887 and finally abandoned June 30, 1896.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed. 

Morris -Established in 1866, Morris was named for an official of the Santa Fe Railroad. A post office was established January 21, 1879. A store opened January 28, 1880.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Morse -Located on the Kansas City, Clinton and Springfield Railroad, Morse is about six miles southeast of Olathe. The oldest settler located there in 1866. It was then a vast prairie and osme of the Black Bob Indians were living along the creeks. A post office was established July 15, 1878 and discontinued June 30, 1953. (Editor's Note: Morse still exists today with a few houses and a church off of 151st and Quivira Streets.) The State Bank of Morse was organized June 22, 1910. At that time, Morse had a population of 100. In 1912, it had general stores, the post office, and telegraph and express facilities. By 1915, the population had dropped to 61, but there was also an elevator operated by the Morse Grain Company. The Modern Woodmen of America also had a strong organization there.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Napoleon - Listed in the July 5, 1883 edition of The Johnson County Democrat as a "defunct city on the Kaw River at Choteau's Ferry."

Newington - A post office was established October 3, 1890 and discontinued July 30, 1898. It was re-established September 7, 1898 and discontinued again when the name was changed to Mastin, July 1, 1899.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Oxford - Cutler's History of Kansas

Oxford - The town was laid out in 1857, adjoining Little Santa Fe, Missouri. It's citizens were pro-slavery. Oxford was located at what is currently 122nd Street and State Line Road, now part of Overland Park. The famous Oxford frauds were perpetrated here. A regular election was held on October 5, 1857 at which only one or two illegal votes were cast. But to the returns taken by Henry Clay Pate to Little Santa Fe that night, a large number of names were added. The same operation was repeated the next day at Westport, Missoui, until the total was 1600 names added to the 42 or 43 names of legal voters who had in the proper manner deposited their ballots the day before. (The fraud was perpetrated by and in favor of pro-slavery forces, trying to illegally decide the issue of which side of the slavery controversy Kansas would be on.) At the out-break of the war, there were a number of good stores which carried on a large trade with the surrounding country. It's citizens were mostly in sympath with the Southern cause. They either joined the Confederates or bushwackers, or moved with their families to Texas or some other southern state. The town's buildings were used for barracks by Union soldiers and at the war's end, the town had mostly disappeared, lost in the fields.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Listed in the July 5, 1883 edition of The Johnson County Democrat as a "defunct city in Oxford township on the state line adjoining the town of New Santa Fe, Mo."

Phila - This small town was located somewhere bear DeSoto and Lexington in the northwestern part of the county. A post office was established May 29, 1890 and discontinued October 31, 1894. It was re-established May 27, 1898 and finally abandoned May 15, 1899.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Pioneer - It was located on one of the creek tributaries to the Kansas River, about seven miles northwest of Olathe. A post office was established November 2, 1897 and discontinued November 15, 1900. It now has rural free delivery from Olathe. The grange located here is probably the oldest in the country.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Prairie Center - Cutler's History of Kansas

Prairie Center - Equidistant from Edgerton - eight miles south, Gardner - seven miles southeast, DeSoto - seven miles northeast, and Eudora in Douglas County - eight miles northwest, was Pairie Center. The first settlement here was made April 9, 1871. The post office was established February 28, 1872 and the appointed postmaster had opened the first store the previous year. The first schoolhouse was built in 1874 and the Friends built a church 1/2 mile north the same year. Two other churches, Methodist and Free Methodist built later. In 1874, there were three church buildings, the post office, a store, a blacksmith shop, a woodwork shop and 75 inhabitants. The post office was discontinued October 15, 1902 when the rural delivery system was established from Eudora. The townsite was erased when the Sunflower Ordinance Plant was developed. The Friends church was moved. The cemetery now lies within the government reserve, but an access road was allowed from the west. Another cemetery in back of a school three mils north was vacated and the burials removed to a DeSoto cemetery.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Princeton - Laid out on Cedar Creek in 1857, it was two miles west of Olathe. It never gained greater size than one claim shanty. It had blue lodge flags as guideposts to lead Missourians coming into the territory in September of 1857.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Listed in the July 5, 1883 edition of The Johnson County Democrat as a "defunct city two miles west of Olathe on Cedar Creek."

Red Clover (Redclover) - A post office was established July 6, 1881 and discontinued October 6, 1887. It was re-established April 13, 1891 and discontinued October 6, 1894 when the name was changed to Redclover. It was located on the county line just outside of Kansas City. The post office was discontinued June 29, 1895.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Romance - A post office was established July 17, 1876 and discontinued April 13, 1877. It was re-established December 20, 1878 and abandoned November 10, 1879.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Shaeriffton - Listed in the July 5, 1883 edition of The Johnson County Democrat as a "defunct city in the south part of Shawnee township." 

Sherman - A post office was established March 2, 1865 and discontinued July 15, 1869 when the name was changed to Lenexa.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.


South Park - A post office was established January 30, 1888 and discontinued July 31, 1894.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.


Spring Place - A post office was established July 1, 1872 and discontinued August 8, 1872 when the name was changed to Glenwood.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.


Squireville - A post office was established December 8, 1857 and discontinued September 29, 1868.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Listed in the July 5, 1883 edition of The Johnson County Democrat as "Squiresville, a defunct city in Aubry."


Switzer - A station on the Frisco, Switzer was located twelve miles north of Olathe. Large quantities of milk were shipped from there to Kansas City, Missouri.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas, published 1973 by Laura Steed.

Wainwright - A post office was established November 27, 1899 and discontinued May 17, 1906 when the name was changed to Clare.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas by Laura Steed.

Waseca - Cutler's History of Kansas

Waseca - It is located in the north part of the county in the Kansas River valley at the junction of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad with the Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern Kansas Railroad, about thirteen miles from Kansas City. The first building was begun on the 10th and finished on the 11th of March, 1882. The section house was also built in 1882 and the railroad depot finished in June, 1882. The post office was established June 26, 1882. A Union Church Organization was effected between the Methodists and Baptists early in the summer. On August 1, 1882 there were about 75 people living in houses and 150 in tents. The post office was discontinued November 3, 1885 when the name was changed to Holliday

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas by Laura Steed.

Wilder - Cutler's History of Kansas

Wilder - Located on the south bank of the Kansas River on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, Wilder was about fifteen miles southwest of Kansas City. The post office was established either December 13, 1875 or in 1877. It was discontinued August 31, 1952. A saw mill with a small grist mill attached was built just east of town in 1879. In 1910, Wilder had a population of 84, and in 1912 it had stores, the money order post office, and telegraph and express facilities. In 1915, Wilder and Frisbie station, 2-1/2 miles south, were in the potato belt and many carloads of patatoes were shipped from there every year.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas by Laura Steed.

Zara - A post office was established December 13, 1882 and discontinued March 4, 1887.

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas by Laura Steed.

Zarah - Located on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, ten miles north of Olathe is Zarah. A post office was established September 22, 1890 and discontinued July 15, 1954. It had a population of fifty in 1910 and in 1912 it had the post office and telegraph and express facilities. In 1915, it was said to have a general store that did "an extensive business."

- from Ghost Towns of Johnson County, Kansas by Laura Steed.

KSGenWeb
KSGenWeb County List

USGenWeb

Click to view...

Neighboring KS Counties

Douglas Co KSGenWeb

Franklin Co KSGenWeb

Leavenworth Co KSGenWeb

Miami Co KSGenWeb

Wyandotte Co KSGenWeb

Neighboring MO Counties

Cass Co MOGenWeb

Jackson Co MOGenWeb

Kansas City MOGenWeb

 

Blogs

Geneabloggers
Blacksheep's Meadow

BlackSheep Sunday Meme

 

Creative Commons License

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!